Friday, February 13, 2015

What Size Sign Letters do I Need?

Proper selection of letter height is critical to ensure a sign is legible to its intended audience. To make sure you select the correct letter height, Fire House Neon Signs has included a useful visibility chart that shows an approximate letter size required to be legible at a designated distance from the sign.  
Calculations based on an externally (or naturally) lit sign with all uppercase letters. Factors that may affect required letter size include: color scheme, font selection, traffic and weather conditions. Please refer to the complete study by the Pennsylvania Transportation Institute, Penn University and the United States Sign Council.

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered how businesses determined how big they should make their signs! I don't think I've ever seen a neon sign from a quarter of a mile away! Then again, I may have just not noticed that I was so far away. That's truly an amazing effect that a good neon sign can have. It really draws you closer. I'm glad that businesses still use them so much! http://bestneonsign.com/custom-outdoor-signs-in-chicago-il/

    ReplyDelete